The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Something NEW for the Bolters!

proudly announcing...

HEI for your 216/235/261 Stock Distributor!

Kits are easy to install and do no harm to your vintage distributor.

The entire kit instructions are available at:

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
6 registered (Sweet T 29', Dave51Chev, bjstruck, Jose.a909, Fourbrads, 5WINDOWJOHN), 68 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,278 Registered Members
46 Forums
98,303 Topics
751,650 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
1dustydon, azadman, Derrick, GMC B MODEL MAN, HevyHauler, Larry Ward, leagl, MarcusT53, ox, starter44
Image Posting Policy
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
New Reply
Topic Options
#464290 - Thu Oct 23 2008 11:36 AM paint removal sand or media blasting questions
56 stepside Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: St. Louis
Hey everyone,
I have a question. I am working on a 56 stepside with really no rust through, but it does have 3 different coats of paint on it. I wanted to try sand or media blasting it off. I know sand will warp panels, but wondered has anyone else taken this approach? waht media was used?
#464477 - Thu Oct 23 2008 11:12 PM Re: paint removal sand or media blasting questions [Re: 56 stepside]
Achipmunk Offline
Loc: Boiling Springs, S. C. 29316
anyone with any experience at all will not warp a panel of the older made steel. Check and ask around. One place often overlooked it the monument place. We have a place here with a guy who has been blasting car parts for over 20 years with the same company. They are also usually a little cheaper. Just besure and ask the rates BEFORE doing anythig, anywhere!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
#464529 - Fri Oct 24 2008 07:18 AM Re: paint removal sand or media blasting question [Re: Achipmunk]
Czechman Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Raleigh, NC
If you just want to remove the paint why not use paint stripper or a grinder with one of THESE DISKS? Yes, the link isn't for the correct version but those things are the BEST thing I've found for removing paint and you can now get them for shop grinders. It will go through paint fast and not remove a molecule of steel.

Personally, I use one of THESE and love it. Some of the best money I've spent on my truck. Stripped two fenders, a hood and will probably get most of the cab stripped with a single disk.

Of course if you want your truck blasted, go for it but expect blasting sand to continue seeping out of every nook and cranny for a very long time.

Good luck!

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
#464719 - Sat Oct 25 2008 12:46 AM Re: paint removal sand or media blasting question [Re: Czechman]
countilaw Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Dallas/Fort Worth, Tx
I sand blast all my parts including cabs, doors, and etc. I've never had a panel warp. Sand blasting also gets into all the nook and crannies, it's faster and cheaper than stripper, sanding or grinding.

Frank

#464721 - Sat Oct 25 2008 12:52 AM Re: paint removal sand or media blasting question [Re: countilaw]
bluedot38 Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: fort worth texas
I used CitriStrip, available at Home Depot, Walmart and other fine stores. About $11 a quart, and safe to use, no bad odors.
I had 3 coats of paint over the factory paint on the "Bomber" and it took off about 80% on the first application!! Best in warmer weather, but it worked great, Faster than sanding, and cheap to use.

Mike
#464910 - Sat Oct 25 2008 07:52 PM Re: paint removal sand or media blasting question [Re: bluedot38]
BIG CHEVY 3600 Offline
Master Gabster
Loc: DALLAS/BLANCO TEXAS
Woody, that is an interesting tool; I'd like to try it out but mine is already blasted. However I'm also too lazy to do anything but sandblast.

Atheism
The belief that there was nothing
and nothing happened to nothing and
then nothing magically exploded for
no reason, creating everything and
then a bunch of everything magically
rearranged itself for no reason whatsoever
into self-replicating bits which then turned
into dinosaurs.
Makes perfect sense.

#465168 - Sun Oct 26 2008 07:36 PM Re: paint removal sand or media blasting question [Re: BIG CHEVY 3600]
Achipmunk Offline
Loc: Boiling Springs, S. C. 29316
Woody, I suppose it all depends on conditions. I had my son to use the stripping disk, after I tried it for an hour or so, and at about $8 a pop it would have cost me a fortune to strip the many layers off the panel! So, I started blasting. Which I have gave up after this one. I sold my pressureizde blaster and if wont' go in my blasting cabinet it goes to the "blasting man"!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
#465216 - Sun Oct 26 2008 10:02 PM Re: paint removal sand or media blasting question [Re: Achipmunk]
Czechman Offline
Shop Shark
That's okay Alvin, I've come to the conclusion that I live on a parallel universe anyway... but I'm not complaining. Things just work better here.

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Door Art Collection
#465589 - Mon Oct 27 2008 10:50 PM Re: paint removal sand or media blasting question [Re: Czechman]
Todd M Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: Hanover, PA
Czechman. I do see that you blast some of the parts in your project. When you say you sandblast parts, are you using a blast cabinet or are you out in the open? Smaller parts fit in a cabinet, but larger things seem to need to be done outside. I was thinking about installing a curtain in the front corner stall of my garage to use as a blast area / paint area. I know that I would have to clean up all the dust between. I guess I am hoping to be able to reuse the aluminum oxide media by sweeping it up and sifting out the dirt. I just reviewed your cab photos. WOW, it took me a while. I have similar work to do, but I hope that mine goes more smoothly. I don't think I have any damage or welded in patches to undo.

I will probably use a combination of methods to remove the rust/ paint, but would like to blast the lower front cab corners so that I can see how much good metal is left.

Todd
#465644 - Tue Oct 28 2008 07:11 AM Re: paint removal sand or media blasting question [Re: Todd M]
Czechman Offline
Shop Shark
Todd,

I have a small table top blasting cabinet that I bought at HF which I use for small parts. I also have a syphon blaster which I use outside in the carport. I don't have room for a real blasting cabinet so I have to make do. The tarp catches most of the Black Diamond media that I use. I can sweep up and sift all that mess in a half hour. I recycle about 80% this way. PICTURE

I would never blast indoors unless it was in a room where I did nothing else. The amount of dust generated is considerable.

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Door Art Collection
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Fourbrads 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->