The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Something NEW for the Bolters!

proudly announcing...

HEI for your 216/235/261 Stock Distributor!

Kits are easy to install and do no harm to your vintage distributor.

The entire kit instructions are available at:

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
45 registered (52pu, 1866yellowboy, 5WINDOWJOHN, baldeagle, bajones238, 54John3100, 2 invisible), 186 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,239 Registered Members
46 Forums
98,161 Topics
750,559 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
andybell, barnabus, blue48, doctorhh, early49_3600, glennco, Gman54, hotshoe36, Jim streeby, Jorge, mojave b, nevrdun, paulm, roybob55
Image Posting Policy
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
New Reply
Topic Options
#423391 - Sun Jun 15 2008 01:12 AM Re: Correct from Factory Bed Finish Question [Re: David Sr]
32fire2 Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: north west
i remember my dads early 60s chevy trucks they had wood beds painted black it would wear off in 2 or 3 years from use
#423689 - Mon Jun 16 2008 07:57 AM Re: Correct from Factory Bed Finish Question [Re: 32fire2]
Denny Graham Offline
Extreme Gabster
Loc: Sandwich, IL
Painted Black???? I think that 99.9% of us Bolters would agree that the bed and strips were painted black, thatís not the question that always remains unanswered. What black was it? Was it a flat black, a semi-gloss black, a satin-black, a gloss black? It is rumored here and over at the VCCA site that the bed wood was treated/dipped with Creosote, I wouldnít argue that because that was the preservative of the day before they had the pressure treated process that we know today. Even if the wood was treated, it was still painted and it was apparently done before it or the strips were installed. If they had been painted after installation there would have been some evidence of that from over spray on the ends and corner angles which the outer boards had to slip under. My boards are still in serviceable condition and have never been out of the bed so when I get to that phase Iím interested to see what the surface/finish looks like under the strips on the bottom of the boards and strips. That will tell a lot of the story Iím sure.

Iíve also uncovered some other details pertaining to the bed paint. I have the RR fender off for some bodywork right now and took the advantage to excavate some of the color layers on the bed side. When I scrubbed the area under the fender I noticed that the bed side was still in its E-coat and original paint. Since the truck was ordered and delivered from the factory in Mariner Blue that is what I expected the bed to be. Iíll describe the paint build from the E-coat up.

It appears that the bed and fenders were assembled in their E-coat primer and then sprayed the standard green and put on the shelf and held in inventory till it was needed on the production line. There is a very light dusting of green with the vertical passes still showing on the bed side under the fender. Under the flange where the fender was bolted to the bedside there is only black E-coat primer. The outside of the bed and fenders were also sprayed green over the E-coat. Apparently when the order came down for Mariner Blue this was sprayed directly over the green with no primer in between.

The village that bought this truck new used it as their fire truck, so somewhere in the 50ís or 60ís a red oxide primer was shot over the Blue which was getting dull in spots and the present coat of fire engine red was applied over that. That village retained ownership up until a few years ago. I talked with the custodians of the truck for the last few decades and from all accounts they knew nothing about the bed ever being replaced and they felt positive that it was the original bed, fenders and floor.
Couple of pics for those that care: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2954317120098611668lsxdTU , http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2546611970098611668iTPgUK

Now all we need to do is hear from Mar-K on what the original bed finish was. Iíve asked several times, and Iím sure that they have done a lot of research on the subject but still havenít heard their reply one way or the other.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL
#425037 - Fri Jun 20 2008 09:23 AM Re: Correct from Factory Bed Finish Question [Re: Denny Graham]
Mar-Ktech Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Oklahoma City
Originally Posted By Denny Graham

Now all we need to do is hear from Mar-K on what the original bed finish was. Iíve asked several times, and Iím sure that they have done a lot of research on the subject but still havenít heard their reply one way or the other.

Mar-K has done testing and research on what finishes will last in the elements, but we have no information about what was done originally. I wish we could be more help, but that information is not available to us.

Mar-Ktech
#425049 - Fri Jun 20 2008 10:22 AM Re: Correct from Factory Bed Finish Question [Re: Mar-Ktech]
Denny Graham Offline
Extreme Gabster
Thanks for responding tech guy. That really surprises me given all the research and attention into the details that you guys obviously apply to your products. I would have thought you would have a rather extensive collection of research material to validate the authenticity of your products. The are very well made and of the highest quality from what Iíve seen and Iím personally planning on using them when I get into my bed and the one Iím doing for a friend.
But thanks anyway.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Edited by Denny Graham (Fri Jun 20 2008 10:29 AM)
#426442 - Tue Jun 24 2008 09:04 PM Re: Correct from Factory Bed Finish Question [Re: Denny Graham]
65PanelMike Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Connecticut
I stopped by a cruise night at the Golden Age of Trucking Museum, and a 1955 1st came in. It was driven by the daughter of the original owner. She said it had never been worked on, and the bed boards and bed strips were painted the body color and the bottom of the boards was unpainted.
This goes under the "for whatever it is worth" category.
Mike

1965 C-30 Panel Truck
1963 C-20 Long/Fleet Pick-up California Black Plate
#428545 - Tue Jul 01 2008 06:45 PM Re: Correct from Factory Bed Finish Question [Re: David Sr]
Brian Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Owasso, OK
AD trucks had black bed boards, that is definite. I was at Hershey a few years back and was amazed that there were trucks there with varnished bed boards that had already won a junior award and were trying for a senior. I am actually glad the AACA has instituted this rule.
#444292 - Thu Aug 21 2008 08:05 PM Re: Correct from Factory Bed Finish Question [Re: Brian]
crenwelge Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Fredericksburg, Texas
I have a 1950 GMC which my father bought new from his brother who sold GMCs My father immediately installed a metal plate over the entire bed because he delivered fuel oil in barrels in those days, and wood would not stand up to barrels being handled on them. The original wood is still under the plate. I recently lifted a corner of the metal plate and there is no sign of ever having any paint. We also used heavier flatbed trailers with yellow pine floors. When we installed a new floor we moped it with linseed oil on a hot day. We would sometime pour a little paint in the linseed oil to give it a little color. I clearly remember new pickups smelling like linseed oil. My guess would be that GM put a little black paint in linseed oil and moped it on as a preservative and giving it a flat black color. GM may have done it, or it would be my guess they bought them already treated. It was definitely not creosote. I used to haul creosote posts to the electric coop here before it was discovered creosote causes cancer. Creosote has a distinct odor, and new pickups did not stink like creosote, but they did stink like linseed oil.
#444627 - Fri Aug 22 2008 12:09 PM Re: Correct from Factory Bed Finish Question [Re: crenwelge]
crenwelge Offline
Shop Shark
I was at a local lumber company today. No. 1 Southern yellow pine is still available in Texas. They don't keep much of it because it is much more expensive than fir and the guys that use nail guns don't like it.
#445185 - Sun Aug 24 2008 06:37 AM Re: Correct from Factory Bed Finish Question [Re: crenwelge]
Denny Graham Offline
Extreme Gabster
But can you find it in clear though? I've heard that most of the treated lumber is Yellow Pine but all of that I've seen is loaded with knots.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL
#445344 - Sun Aug 24 2008 06:23 PM Re: Correct from Factory Bed Finish Question [Re: Denny Graham]
crenwelge Offline
Shop Shark
It is not treated. It is like the lumber we used for shelving years ago. I have a 12' 1x12 in the garage that I wanted to use for a shelf a couple of years ago. It is #1 or clear, but I think it is expensive. When I remodeled 25 years ago, I used 2x6 #1yp for strength on my rafters and 1x6 #1yp center match for decking. It would probably be cost prohibitive now. The last bumper hitch trailer I put a floor in, I used Brazilian iron wood for strength. Our semi trailers now have aluminum floors with apitong nailing strips. But apitong is not what it is cracked up to be. 40 years ago we used 2x8 yp center match in our trailers and moped them with linseed oil on a hot day. We got very good service out of them.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->