The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Something NEW for the Bolters!

proudly announcing...

HEI for your 216/235/261 Stock Distributor!

Kits are easy to install and do no harm to your vintage distributor.

The entire kit instructions are available at:

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
52 registered (52_Ton, 53 green 1- ton, 1951Chevy1Ton, 30cwtchev, 49nut, 53Movinon, 5 invisible), 179 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,264 Registered Members
46 Forums
98,252 Topics
751,263 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
Bill55, BlueStar28, Garrett, gdschmeling, hjls3, Mark Thomas, Rhenry, Richard Gambrell, STEVE1103
Image Posting Policy
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
New Reply
Topic Options
#429633 - Sat Jul 05 2008 11:16 AM Re: to blast or not to blast that is the ? [Re: rockhammer]
63truckman Offline
New Guy
Loc: Clintwood, VA
The problem with my truck is it looks like someone (hopefuly a well meaning kid) Put what looks like house paint on this truck. We tried to sand it off but it was like sanding a piece of sand paper made of diamonds. The sand blasting is taking off this junk quick. I still think i will try something else on the hood and door. I hope the more in depth in this truck i get you guys will be here for me
#430633 - Tue Jul 08 2008 09:46 AM Re: to blast or not to blast that is the ? [Re: 63truckman]
Raptor Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: USA
This was a great topic. I concur with an experience blaster can get the job done right.. An amateur can too, if he/she take his/her time and has been taught the right way !! .

Remember - Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten

BUT - with prices these days... this may take a while :-)

Edited by Raptor (Tue Jul 08 2008 09:47 AM)

Pictures of my trucks on the Web
My 1952 in the Gallery

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
#430753 - Tue Jul 08 2008 04:37 PM Re: to blast or not to blast that is the ? [Re: rockhammer]
jomichael Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
I would stay away from sand as a blasting media as it can destroy your lungs. Ever heard of Silicosis? I'm having my cab blasted with soda first because it is gentle and will get most stuff off. Then it will be blasted with glass beads for the stubborn rust areas. I tried blasting stuff on my own and found it to be dirty, slow miserable process. I think its worth having someone professional do it.

Good luck
#430982 - Wed Jul 09 2008 04:31 AM Re: to blast or not to blast that is the ? [Re: jomichael]
4ontheFloor Offline
Loc: Forest Grove, OR
I look at sandblasting/stripping like I look at cat work- sure, I could rent a bulldozer and do it myself, but I'm time, money, hassle, and sunburn ahead to hire somebody else to do it. Sandblasting just goes that much easier if somebody else is pointing the gun.
#433254 - Wed Jul 16 2008 03:54 PM Re: to blast or not to blast that is the ? [Re: 4ontheFloor]
UnklRod Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Santa Rosa, Ca
Any thoughts on the crushed walnut shells idea? I am looking into blasting my 57 Chevy truck. Also, POR 15, powder coating? What would you all suggest. Thanks for all the writting on this topic...Jon

The coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain

If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you!

If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!!
#433386 - Wed Jul 16 2008 10:11 PM Re: to blast or not to blast that is the ? [Re: UnklRod]
Scott Danforth Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Cheesehead in Paradise
for what its worth, I have done chemical stripping - both paying for dipping and using aircraft paint stripper (caution, eats skin). . I have also had items sand blasted, soda blasted, walnut blasted, bead blasted, shot blasted, baked, acid dipped, etc. I now like using a 20:1 ratio of Muriatic acid for cleaning followed by a soda ash neutralizing bath on fenders and other small things. Sand Blasting is still best for frames, etc. I now pay to have others blast as I have done it myself, and now lean towards 4ontheFloor's method. Hire someone to do it. There is a really nice shop between my house and work. And the best part is if he blasts a car, he also primes it with PPG self etching epoxy primer and a primer sealer as standard practice. If you refuse the primer, he makes you sign a waiver indicating such.

Scott
#433515 - Thu Jul 17 2008 09:03 AM Re: to blast or not to blast that is the ? [Re: Scott Danforth]
Milhouse Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: RI
Figured I'd put in my $0.02...

I've done sand blasting and have both warped panels and had it come out perfectly. When I was back in high school (10 years ago) I blasted the rear fenders of my '47 Chevy coupe with play sand. With using the sand, being inexperienced, and trying to be thorough I warped both fenders, one really bad. Since then I've blasted using coal slag (available in 100lb bags at the local hardware store for $13) on the cab of my '55 3200 2nd series and it worked extremely well. I was told to avoid the roof because that could easily warp, but everything else would hold up just fine. I've also been told that play sand is extremely cancerous and you should never blast with actual sand, only blasting media (coal slag, glass, walnut, etc).

As for the frame, I've just been going through mine with a wire brush and Por-15, and it looks amazing and seems like it will hold up extremely well. I've been working on the same gallon of Por-15 for almost 10 years and it has been well worth the price.

Good luck with the blasting! I'd love to see some pictures smile
#433694 - Thu Jul 17 2008 07:44 PM Re: to blast or not to blast that is the ? [Re: Milhouse]
UnklRod Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Santa Rosa, Ca
Neil,
On the POR 15 I hear you can just coat the frame and not really have to worry about the rust. Is that true? I have never heard about a product that really "stops rust." Can you sand blast the frame, and soda blast the thinner parts? Then put the POR 15 on the frame? Thanks! Jon

The coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain

If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you!

If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!!
#434218 - Sun Jul 20 2008 07:34 AM Re: to blast or not to blast that is the ? [Re: BIG CHEVY 3600]
Desert_buick Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: Mooresville, NC
I started to sand blast mine, but the mess just wasn't worth it. Sand still shakes loose every time I jostle the cab. I also tried chemical stripping, but again the mess was too much to handle. It was a lot of work, but I ended up just using stripping discs.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Picasa

It ain't broke 'til you can't fix it any more.
#434221 - Sun Jul 20 2008 07:52 AM Re: to blast or not to blast that is the ? [Re: UnklRod]
doc bob Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Western Australia
What the H,

might throw in my 1.8 AUS cents worth too!

RE: Sodium Hydroxide Dipping.
I run a HUGE dip tank at work.
We use it to clean machinery parts before rebuilding.

It WILL clean off ALL rust, from light surface to full scale.
It WILL NOT remove thick grease, only light oils and even then this contaminates the strength of the mixture, as such all parts need to be thouroughly de-greased before dipping.

I have done many engine blocks, fuel tanks, diff housings and many othr parts over the years, and the results are hard to compare with any other method.Especially good as it gets to every surface of the part, even cleans the water jackets in an engine block!

I have found an engine block on the ground in a paddock, completely rusted, dipped it and had it come out with the original machined surfaces shining like they were done yesterday!

But this not really a good method for doing whole cabs.
Too many nooks and cranny's for the stuff to hide in, and it needs a good water rinsing before priming.
Use it for all your mechanical parts, guards, bonnets etc as it will find and destroy all rust that it touches no matter how bad it is.

I'd stay on the path of blast all you can, but leave the body to a professional.

DOCS CLASSIC GARAGE
Specializing in Hot Rods,
Customs & Street Machines.
My pictures at..........
1936 Chev 1/2-Ton Holden Body

confused? http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Fourbrads 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->