The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Grilles for 1934, 35, and 36 GM trucks

To 1934-35 and 1936 GM Truck Customers

A limited number of new grilles have just arrived! They are totally SHOW QUALITY, mirrow-polished, stainless steel. Includes outer reinforcing band, vertical center bars, and special customer fasteners to attach to your outer shell.

LOOK HERE
and see

Limited Quantity!

Old Chevy Trucks.com

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
8 registered (Jeler, martinmikey, Bob Giles, Larry_58_Burb, Ed Lepelis, 51chris), 60 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,099 Registered Members
46 Forums
97,879 Topics
748,962 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
59fleetsideext, dschmidt, nedde, UncleLarry
Image Posting Policy
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#403053 - Wed Apr 16 2008 02:16 PM Photo of old Chevy/UPS step van (help ID)
John.B Offline
New Guy
Loc: Northern Illinois
Hi, still working on identifying the year this step van was made.
Was able to find a pretty decent photo that should help. (taken in 1990).
The "Blue Goose" has aged some since, like we all have :o)

http://www.gypsyodyssey.com/blue.goose.html

Bought it in '87.
It had a '67 rebuilt motor.
The title says '67.
But, the shop owner said the body was older, and it was a former UPS van.
The VIN is: PS327F172054 (on the steering column).
I don't know how to gather info off the vin... anyone know?

Haven't been able to locate an ID plate.

It does look quite similar to this '57 die cast toy from UPS.
(seen here)
http://www.motormint.com/browseproducts/1957-UPS--153;-Package-Car---1-28-Scale.html
Some differences are: Windshield style; square skylights (ours are round); different grill.

Any additional info would be much appreciated.
Marg B.
------------------
I did get the following help from an earlier post (before I had a photo).

HevyHauler wrote:
With UPS vans it's really hard to tell it is very rare that anyone would get there hands on an old UPS van as they were built specifically for UPS and they would dismantle and recycle them they were not to get out to the general public. Notice that they look different from all others and there were literally millions made but you never see an old one.

jay 1124 wrote:
Chevrolet introduced step-van chassis in 1948. Several different manufacturers made bodies for them so you might find ten or twelve vans all built the same year but might all look a little different from the rest. Try to find a manufacturer's ID plate somewhere on the van. Maybe on a door edge or a door jamb. If you can find the VIN number it will be much easier to determine when the van was built. Maybe someone else can tell you specifically where to find the ID plate.

spanky wrote:
Grumman-Olson (Olson Kurb-Side) was the most popular manufacturer of these stepvans, used by General Motors. Montpelier Manufacturing, Utility Truck Distributors, Herman Body Company, Dekalb Commercial Body Corp., Universal"Carovan", & Boyertown "Better-Built". Were just a few other manufacturers. Post a few pictures, & I may be able to take a guess at it.

#403132 - Wed Apr 16 2008 06:15 PM Re: Photo of old Chevy/UPS step van (help ID) [Re: John.B]
55 1st suburban Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Rapid City, South Dakota
What van, that doesn't look like my UPS guy!

Bruce
#403152 - Wed Apr 16 2008 06:38 PM Re: Photo of old Chevy/UPS step van (help ID) [Re: 55 1st suburban]
Wrenchbender Ret. Offline
Master Gabster
Loc: Lenexa Ks.
It looks like mid 50,s to early 60's body. If it's a Grumman body they used to put the body ID tag up on the electric wiper motor above the windshield. If it's a Union City body they used the same number for the body as the serial number. It could be on the steering column between the dash & firewall. If it has the old stovebolt 6 (4 screws on the valve cover) then it is 62 on back. If it has the 230/250 engine it is 63 up.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

#403330 - Thu Apr 17 2008 01:10 AM Re: Photo of old Chevy/UPS step van (help ID) [Re: Wrenchbender Ret.]
GMONIZ Offline
Master Gabster
Loc: ALAMEDA/SAINT HELENA CA
Post a picture of the dash and the engine. If the radiator is a Harrison it will have a date code on the upper tank. Why do you think this is a UPS truck? Is theIr brown paint visible? You may want to contact these vendors for additional information, provide them with a picture.

STEP VAN PARTS

MORE STEP VAN PARTS

Found this one on craigslist. 1961 GMC UPS PACKAGE CAR It is supposed to be an old UPS truck too. Contact him and see if he has additional info on the truck, manufacturer, vin plate location or any other identification. Notice that he is calling it a GMC!

Edited by GMONIZ (Thu Apr 17 2008 01:51 PM)
#403424 - Thu Apr 17 2008 12:16 PM Re: Photo of old Chevy/UPS step van (help ID) [Re: GMONIZ]
mapleleaf Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: NS
Here's one the old man was running in the late 50's for Moirs bread here in Nova Scotia

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/ecumsecumguy/?action=view&current=Moirs1.jpg
#403528 - Thu Apr 17 2008 07:06 PM Re: Photo of old Chevy/UPS step van (help ID) [Re: John.B]
John.B Offline
New Guy
Loc: Northern Illinois
Thanks a lot for the info and links! This has helped.

I did find the nameplate that says:

Manufactured For
Grumman Allied
Industries, Inc.
Athens, N.Y.

It is an blue oval with silver type.
Located on the top of the heater vent on the dash.
(if it had been a snake it would have bit me!)

The photo I shared is from 1990.
The paint has faded and cracked some since.
There is a great deal of UPS brown visible, especially on the roof.

The mechanics shop I bought this from said it was an old UPS van.
He worked on them for UPS in our area... way back when.

We used it to haul and store music equipment from '87 to '95.
It has been idle since, but ran well when we stopped driving it.
Had 45,500 miles when I bought it, now it has 53,800, on a re-built 67 Chevy motor.
Just been using it to store equipment.
Deciding to restore, or sell to someone who might want an old timer project.

I will tell my husband about all the info you have given me.

Thanks again!
Marg B.

p.s. Our UPS guy doesn't look like that either ;o)

#403946 - Fri Apr 18 2008 05:41 PM Re: Photo of old Chevy/UPS step van (help ID) [Re: John.B]
Master Gabster
The Grumman body is a fantastic body. It is aluminum & can last for many years.

#404372 - Sat Apr 19 2008 09:26 PM Re: Photo of old Chevy/UPS step van (help ID) [Re: Wrenchbender Ret.]
jay 1124 Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Sweet Springs WV
Just looked at a lot of photos of Chevrolet step vans from 1948 through 1968. None of them have a grille anything like yours. They started out with a 5-bar grille, went to a 4-bar, and then in 1968 went to a form of the '68 Chevrolet truck grille with one bar through the middle. Tlhis doesn't mean much because whoever built the body may have only used the Chevy chassis and running gear and manufactured the entire body as opposed to buying a chassis and front clip and completing the truck. Sorry I can't help. If you ever learn the year and body manufacturer let us know, please.
#404503 - Sun Apr 20 2008 09:51 AM Re: Photo of old Chevy/UPS step van (help ID) [Re: jay 1124]
Master Gabster
UPS has their own design & specs. They buy so many that the manufactors can build them to ther specs.

#404580 - Sun Apr 20 2008 01:23 PM Re: Photo of old Chevy/UPS step van (help ID) [Re: GMONIZ]
Gator5713 Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Aggieland, TX
Originally Posted By: GMONIZ
Post a picture of the dash and the engine. If the radiator is a Harrison it will have a date code on the upper tank. Why do you think this is a UPS truck? Is theIr brown paint visible? You may want to contact these vendors for additional information, provide them with a picture.

STEP VAN PARTS

MORE STEP VAN PARTS

Found this one on craigslist. 1961 GMC UPS PACKAGE CAR It is supposed to be an old UPS truck too. Contact him and see if he has additional info on the truck, manufacturer, vin plate location or any other identification. Notice that he is calling it a GMC!

This looks like an IRWIPI waiting to happen! Where is that one at?
Good luck on the step van! My UPS Guy doesn't look like that either!
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

Edited by Gator5713 (Sun Apr 20 2008 01:24 PM)
Edit Reason: Replied inside quote.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Glenn A. Foster, Grigg 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->