The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
New trim for Advance Design Panel Trucks
Coming soon: NEW -- after almost 60 years
From Jim Carter Antique Truck Parts
Something for your Advance Design Panel

Set of 12 mirror-polished stainless lower fender trim. (see enlarged image)

This was original on the Advance Design (1947 to 1955) Deluxe panel truck.

Check out Part No. TRT400 on the Jim Carter website for details and to reserve your set NOW ... with no money commitment.

Production is in the final stages. Plans are to have them in stock by mid- to late- July 2015.

Sold in sets including clips and mounting instructions.

Also available is the long stainless trim for the upper fender (Part No. TRT402). Check the Jim Carter website for details.

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
13 registered (1949 COE, baldeagle, Deve, cletis, dx3, FLSTOVER), 91 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Possibly Related Links:
Forum Stats
37,083 Registered Members
46 Forums
97,769 Topics
748,173 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
53ChevHotRod, dmtk2007, foolonthehill, MLT, Niedermair, Perry Dean, Redd GMC, Rick Paul, wizard 49
Image Posting Policy
Topic Options
#403014 - Wed Apr 16 2008 12:35 PM Help me identify Turbo 350 Tranny
Achipmunk Offline
Loc: Boiling Springs, S. C. 29316
I've got a 350 automatic tranny that I would like to know what year model it is. (if it is indeed a 350 as i was told.

I can't find any numbers on it except for a stamping which is "13" with a "T" underneath it on both sides of the tranny. The only real number I could find was the one on the short tail shaft wich is 8640326, as best as I can make out and its probably the casting # just for that piece.

The bottom pan is NOT square. The back passenger side corner is cut at an angle and the back edge of the pan has a "slant/bevel" to it. Can anyone help me know what I have??

I'm probably dreaming but was hoping it could possible be one of the 350's with lockup. HELP, before I hook it to my engine and drop it in the chassis.

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
#403060 - Wed Apr 16 2008 03:04 PM Re: Help me identify Turbo 350 Tranny [Re: Achipmunk]
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Extreme Gabster
Loc: Dellrose, TN
There is a very simple way to identify the 350C, which is the lockup version. There will be an electrical connector above, and just to the rear of the manual shift linkage on the driver's side of the transmission, and the input shaft where the torque converter slips on will be hollow, with an "O" ring in a groove about 1/4" back from the front end of the shaft. Standard 350's do not have the O ring, and the input shaft is solid. The pan shape you're describing fits both 350's and the "C" model lockup type. If it looks like a 350, but does not have a vacuum modulator, just a TV cable, you've got a Turbo 250.
Jerry
Bill Ruger
Eugene Stoner

#403113 - Wed Apr 16 2008 05:46 PM Re: Help me identify Turbo 350 Tranny [Re: Hotrod Lincoln]
jockbolter50 Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Scotland
The numbers you are looking for should be stamped on the 'pan' itself, assuming it's got it's original pan and it's a Chevy 350.
Buick also built TH350's .There should be a 6 digit # on the right vertical face of the pan.
If you can find these #. Post them and I'll see if I can decipher them for you! As 'Hotrod' said 350c's have a connector just near the shift linkage.
Jock. thumbs_up
You may also find marks on the bellhousing. Usually 1# and 2 letters.

Edited by jockbolter50 (Wed Apr 16 2008 05:53 PM)

"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .
#403289 - Wed Apr 16 2008 10:27 PM Re: Help me identify Turbo 350 Tranny [Re: jockbolter50]
Achipmunk Offline
HotRodLincoln: how stupid of me....Duhhh! I put a 700R4 in my 37 and know about the electrical connector! It is NOT a lock up.

It has the tv cable AND the vacumn modulator so I guess its just a plain 350.

Jock, I rolled it over as far as I could without the fluid running everywhere and the bottom of the pan is dirty and rusty. Tomorrow morning I will try clean it off and see if I can find any numbers. I absolutely couldn't find any numbers anywhere on the bellhousing.
Thanks for taking the time to respond guys and I will look on the bottom of the pan tomorrow and get back to you.

#403344 - Thu Apr 17 2008 02:20 AM Re: Help me identify Turbo 350 Tranny [Re: Achipmunk]
jockbolter50 Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Scotland
It's just amazing how a 'small' amount of ATF can spread out to look like a Major Eco disaster!! eek I've still got the stains on my garage floor!
It's 7:15am here so I guess i'd better get ready for work!
Catch up with you later. Jock.
P.S. The bellhousing marks were usually an Ink stamp or a self adhesive label. Not much chance of them surviving under a car/truck for 15/20 years! grin

"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .
#403366 - Thu Apr 17 2008 07:55 AM Re: Help me identify Turbo 350 Tranny [Re: jockbolter50]
TC's Truck Parts Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: 7154 Creek Rd. Hazelhurst, Wi....
The th350 pan is as you described - it has the angle in it. Also the vacuum modulator is on the back of the case, not like a 400 which is on the side. A th350 lockup has a square female electrical plug on the side which a normal 350 doesn't.
#405201 - Mon Apr 21 2008 10:21 PM Re: Help me identify Turbo 350 Tranny [Re: TC's Truck Parts]
Achipmunk Offline
Thanks guys. I finally got out to the shop Saturday and cleaned it up real good.
jockbolter50: no numbers on the pan. It appears I have just a plain jane turbo 350 tanny. No lockout, modulator on the back and no electrical plug.
I'm gonna use it anyway!! It was working good in the previous truck. I was just hoping it was something else! I may go by the "tranny man" who is a friend of mine and see what he has laying around. I want to "do it once, do it right" kind of thing and just don't think the regular 350 tranny is right for the panel and especially since I'm running a 3:90 rear gear out of a 55 /56 pickup in the 52 housing.
Any comments from you guys appreciated as I do not know all the gear ratio lingo for "final gear" by figuring out the tranny ratio to the rear end to get the "final road ratio".
Its late. Am I making any sense?

#405216 - Mon Apr 21 2008 10:46 PM Re: Help me identify Turbo 350 Tranny [Re: Achipmunk]
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Extreme Gabster
Loc: Dellrose, TN
High gear on the TH 350 is 1:1, just like top gear in a 3-speed standard trans. The only gear ratio involved in highway travel will be the rear axle ratio, with top speed determined by engine RPM and tire size.

The automatic trans will have better acceleration from a stop than a standard shift, because the torque converter doubles the engine torque just before the vehicle starts to move.
Jerry
Bill Ruger
Eugene Stoner

Moderator:  53moneypit, Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->