The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Something NEW for the Bolters!

proudly announcing...

HEI for your 216/235/261 Stock Distributor!

Kits are easy to install and do no harm to your vintage distributor.

The entire kit instructions are available at:

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
44 registered (1940GmcJoe, 52 6400, 2-Ton, 1866yellowboy, 49oneton, 1953 panel), 167 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,274 Registered Members
46 Forums
98,303 Topics
751,641 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
Camaro_Mike, Chy, Dyno-Sore, Steve Garner, stewbud
Image Posting Policy
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
New Reply
Topic Options
#25572 - Sun May 02 2004 12:35 AM tip toe matic transmission?
Kimo Offline
Loc: SoCal
Aloha, anyone ever hear of a "tip toe matic' tranny? apparently it has some kind of knob below the dash to engage the ??????????? Anyway spoke to a cat that had 1 in his '53 'burb ! some kind of overdrive? Many mahalo's in advance

Aloha nui loa
#25573 - Mon May 03 2004 07:07 PM Re: tip toe matic transmission?
jbennett Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: crossroads tx
Kimo, I think what your talking about is the chrysler M-6 automatic, its got some sort of electro matic shift, run a search on it on the net, should turn up. Someting to do with desoto car also. hope this helps probable not. the M-6 was called tip toe shift.
jbennett
40 burb
#25574 - Mon May 03 2004 07:38 PM Re: tip toe matic transmission?
4ontheFloor Offline
Loc: Forest Grove, OR
There was a tip-toe-matic overdrive manufactured in Portland, OR in the 1950's. It was a closed driveline unit and is pretty rare today, I don't know of any documentation about it. You might try one of the old timer inliner members (www.inliners.org) in the Portland area for more info.
#25575 - Tue May 04 2004 04:47 PM Re: tip toe matic transmission?
Kimo Offline
Aloha brudda's, interesting indeed, but it must be the aftermarket version he was talking about, and as it turns out he has a connection for one and I will post more once I learn more. Spoke with another enthusiast and he knows about them and say's there is 1 in a restored early '50's Burb in a car lot somewhere north of Long Beach, CA. not for sale, perhaps the lot's owner's, and it has one in it also, I'm on the hunt!!

Many mahalo's
#25576 - Tue May 04 2004 06:33 PM Re: tip toe matic transmission?
4ontheFloor Offline
If ya run across a saginaw overdrive let me know, I have a 4 speed saginaw tranny that I would like to add an overdrive to.
#25577 - Fri May 07 2004 01:46 AM Re: tip toe matic transmission?
Kimo Offline
10-4 on the saginaw, but check out this chevy ad from '41 that mentions the "tiptoe", more confusion, havn't heard back from my "connection" yet, sound familiar?

Aloha and cheers, suck 'em up!!!!

http://www.kaleden.com/search/images.jsp?id=236916
#25578 - Tue May 11 2004 02:04 AM Re: tip toe matic transmission?
Kimo Offline
Aloha!!!!

Well, I scored!!! Both with my connection and the inliners site. I'm picking up the unit this week, it's very rare, yep built in portland by "truckstell", on the site there is a guy that bought out the remaining parts from the mfg'er and another guy that has copies of literature and hopefully manuals. but having said that the guy I'm buying it from say's he also has the original brochure and installation instructions!!!!!

It is an overdrive unit and as I learn more I'll post more

Many mahalo's for the heads up!!!

This and that other site rock!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------

"To do is to be" Nietzsche
"To be is to do" Kant
"Do be do be do" Sinatra
#25579 - Wed May 12 2004 11:54 PM Re: tip toe matic transmission?
Kimo Offline
I can't believe relatively no one has heard of this thing. I got it here, it consists of a pinion carrier and modified shaft/torque tube (no okie bushing repair necessary now!!!) overdrive unit that connects to the tail end of the tranny, 3 or 4 speed, and the cable with knob to engage, very cool. A co-worker has found an early '50's chevy panel and it has one also!! Theres gotta be more out there.
#25580 - Sun May 30 2004 02:26 AM Re: tip toe matic transmission?
Kimo Offline
Aloha, heres a link to one of the few who has heard of and actually has one in his 38, said it adds 20mph, it's durable, him and his wife drive the 38 cross country and he loves it. I still can't believe relatively few has heard of this OD unit.

http://members.doubleknot.com/vccapsr/tcdec02.pdf

Aloha nui loa
#25581 - Sun May 30 2004 09:42 PM Re: tip toe matic transmission?
Splashoil Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Bellingham, WA
Kimo, crate and wrap it up real carefully, and just ship it right up here!! You scored because you were curious! grin
#25582 - Sun May 30 2004 10:18 PM Re: tip toe matic transmission?
Glenn A. Foster Offline
Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon
Loc: Jarrell, Texas USA
Kimo, read the ad carefully. The reference is to the "tip-toe-matic clutch."

I never heard of any difference between the Chevy clutch in the ad and other years, but apparently, the design was an easily operated clutch.

The Chrysler Motors Co. "tip-toe-matic transmission" (referred to in earlier posts) was a "Hy-drive" in a Plymouth, also cheerfully called a "Slush-o-matic." My Grandad had one.

I remember him starting out in first gear clutching normally, first time out, shifting from first toward second, clutching normally, but not stopping in second gear and finishing the shift into third gear.

From that time on stopping and starting, all that was needed was to mash the accelerator to start moving, get up to about 25 or so, and back off the RPM's for a couple seconds to allow the transmission to shift into third gear. The "slush" came about from the turtle-like acceleration.

A refined "automatic transmission" followed in short order.

1946 1-1/2 ton Chevy
"Ol Blue", or "THE BIG 'UN"
#25583 - Mon May 31 2004 03:29 PM Re: tip toe matic transmission?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have never seen one of these working, but during the 40s chevy offered a vacuum assist on the clutch. By the time I started working on cars they had all broken and been replaced with standard linkage. I have seen some pieces and it appears to have been a vacuum bellows in a cannister that pulled on the clutch linkage when the driver depressed the pedal. My first car, 48 chev 2dr, had one at one time but it was gone when I bought it in '59.
#25584 - Mon May 31 2004 06:42 PM Re: tip toe matic transmission?
jku72 Offline
Loc: Cornville, maine
I have that Chrysler transmission you are refering to, in a 1950 Dodge car. In my Dodge, it is called "Gyro-Matic", but in other cars it is a Tip-toe-matic, and several other similar names.
It has a torque converter, and a traditional disc type clutch. It has a hydraulicly shifted 4 speed transmission. The construction of the the trans is very similar to a traditional manual transmission, only instead of hand shifting, there is a hydraulic piston which shifts between 1-2 and 3-4. You have to clutch and shift to put it in gear initially, then once its in gear, you can release the clutch, then you can drive off by releasing the brake. To shift from 1-2, all you have to do is release the gas pedal for a sec, and it shifts itself, no clutch required. When you need to shift into third, you have to push in the clutch and shift the column lever from the high side to the low side, like you'd shift from second to third on a traditional 3 on the tree.
Now, your in third, and to shift into fourth, once you have attained speed, you just lift off the gas and it automatically shifts in fourth gear.
According to the book, you normally only are supposed to use the third and fourth gears, Ive tried it on my old Dodge, and it does work from the level, although it takes forever to get up to speed, and I see why it would be called slushomatic or whatever. If I'm going up hill, my engine is too old and the carb is too dirty, and I end up just sitting there, while the engine is lugged down and the torque converter slips endlessly.
The trans other functions, such as kickdown and whatnot are electrically controlled from switches on the carb, they release a solonoid on the trans that dumps oil pressure, causing the trans to drop to the lower gear in whatever range you are in. On mine, the wires are old and frayed, and the car kept downshifting at inopertune moments, so I just disconnected all the wires and downshift manually.
The trans is wierd, and a PITA, but it is a unique part of auto history.
68 Suburban
#25585 - Tue Jun 01 2004 02:15 AM Re: tip toe matic transmission?
Kimo Offline
ALOHA!

I think those other makes are complete different animals all together, from what I understand this "truckstell" (forget the tiptoe matic part) was Chevy only.

I did score according to the guy in the link, his name is George, I'm just amazed at how few there must be and how few people have experience with this particular unit. One of my concerns was it must have not performed very well or had breakdown problems, but according to George it's almost bullet proof. Again, he's driven across country several times with it, in a '38 no less!!

AND,,,, a co-worker just looked at a A.D. panel that had one in it and he saw a '48 woody at a car show that had one in it, both chevy's of course.

Thanks for your thought's and inputs

MAHALO NUI LOA
#25586 - Tue Jun 01 2004 12:17 PM Re: tip toe matic transmission?
4ontheFloor Offline
Truckstell as a company is still in business in Portland, but as far as I know they sold all their parts and tooling many years ago to some local curmudgeon and they have disappeared.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  53moneypit, Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->