The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Something NEW for the Bolters!

proudly announcing...

HEI for your 216/235/261 Stock Distributor!

Kits are easy to install and do no harm to your vintage distributor.

The entire kit instructions are available at:

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2015 Calendars!
12 months of GMC Stovebolts

There are over 10 to choose from.

Check for details!

Who's Online
38 registered (46 Chev, 1size, 2manyprojects, 48bigtrucks, 46gmcpu, 3 invisible), 143 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,274 Registered Members
46 Forums
98,298 Topics
751,601 Posts

Most users ever online: 399 @ Wed Apr 09 2014 10:26 PM
Today's Birthdays
Camaro_Mike, Chy, Dyno-Sore, Steve Garner, stewbud
Image Posting Policy
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
New Reply
Topic Options
#215167 - Tue Sep 05 2006 11:27 AM My PB Blaster vs. Kroil test
Builder Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Minnehaha County, South Dakota
Friday I brought home a 1957 Corvette engine. When I took it apart, the right bank of pistons were all stuck. One of the worst ones had a pile of white and yellow crystalized corrosion filling the cylinder. It reminded me of a severely corroded battery terminal. I decided to test the PB Blaster and Kroil on the motor to find out which one actually worked the best.

For the sake of clarity I will number the cylinders 1-2-3-4.

The two outside cylinders (1 and 4) had the most corrosion, and I assumed they would be the toughest pistons to remove. The two center cylinders were stuck and not quite as bad.

Cylinders 1 and 4 seemed to be the worse of the four, and I decided that since the Kroil was the most expensive I would give it the task of the worse cylinder (#1). I also chose to use kroil in the number 2 cylinder. PB Blaster was used in 3 and 4, with 4 being the worse of those two.

First I took a 2" wire wheel on my die grinder and removed as much rust and corrosion from the tops of the pistons and I cleaned the tops of the cylinders too. I then propped the block so the right bank of pistons were level.

I then sprayed Kroil into cylinders 1 and 2 until the top of the piston was covered, then the same to 3 and 4 with the PB Blaster. I noticed the PB Blaster was bubbling a little around the edges of the piston. It reminded me of carbonated beverage when you pour it in a glass. I let them both sit for about 18 hours. All the cylinders looked like they had the same amounts of penetrant on top of the pistons when I returned.

First I took a wood 2 x 2 and hammered the two center pistons (2 and 3) down into the bore. Both came loose relatively easy. I pounded them from the bottom and they both came out of the cylinders fairly easy and with reletively equal force.

I pounded on the tops of the 1 and 4 pistons to see if they would loosen up. The number 1 cylinder with Kroil started to move so I continued to work on it. I got it far enough down the cylinder to see where the rings has set against the cylinders. I took my wire wheel and cleaned up the cylinder again and then pounded the piston from the bottom and it came out of the cylinder.

I then turned my attention to #4 with the PB Blaster. I pounded and pounded on the top and bottom of the piston and it would not move. I sprayed some more PB Blaster on top of the piston and waited about 15 minutes and pounded again. The piston did not move.

I decided that I had better prop the motor up again and let it soak another day. I was already leaning towards the Kroil as being the better of the two, and I sprayed some Kroil in the #4 cylinder.

After 10 minutes I took the 2 x 2 and hit it with the hammer. The piston moved on the first hit. After moving the piston down far enough, I again cleaned the cylinder with the wire brush. I pounded from the bottom and got the piston out.

Now you could say that all the pounding on the #4 PB Blaster piston helped loosen it up before switching to the Kroil, but I really believe that the Kroil did a better job of penetrating and loosening up the pistons. I also looked at the cylinders afterwards too. The PB blaster cylinder showed deeper scores in the cylinder walls from the hard deposits left behind.

I also noticed the lubrication of the kroil was much higher. The PB Blaster seemed dryer and less oil like.

My test finds Kroil superior to PB Blaster.
#215168 - Tue Sep 05 2006 12:22 PM Re: My PB Blaster vs. Kroil test
dad6timz Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: simpsonville sc
I always thought PB was the best but I will now try Kroil. I'm always willing to try new stuff.
#215169 - Tue Sep 05 2006 12:55 PM Re: My PB Blaster vs. Kroil test
cletis Online
Loc: Parker County Texas
Thanks for the report. Very thorough and easy to comprehend.

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban
My TRUCKS website
#215170 - Tue Sep 05 2006 04:56 PM Re: My PB Blaster vs. Kroil test
49 geezer Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Hedgesville, WV
Started using Kroil after my F in Law recommended it. They used it at the Celanese plant in western Maryland all the time. Never been happier with a product.
#215171 - Tue Sep 05 2006 10:05 PM Re: My PB Blaster vs. Kroil test
Packrat Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: Upper Michigan
Where can a guy buy Kroil? I have s stuck 350 in my 48 coupe. I have kept the cylinders full of PB for the last 3 or 4 weeks and tried to turn the engine with a bar on the flywheel but no luck. I was trying to get away without pulling the heads. It looks like I might have to pull it apart and use the wooden block. I have tried to find Kroil but no luck. Don
#215172 - Tue Sep 05 2006 10:06 PM Re: My PB Blaster vs. Kroil test
Packrat Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Loc: Upper Michigan
Where can a guy buy Kroil? I have s stuck 350 in my 48 coupe. I have kept the cylinders full of PB for the last 3 or 4 weeks and tried to turn the engine with a bar on the flywheel but no luck. I was trying to get away without pulling the heads. It looks like I might have to pull it apart and use the wooden block. I have tried to find Kroil but no luck. Don
#215173 - Wed Sep 06 2006 01:23 AM Re: My PB Blaster vs. Kroil test
J Lucas Offline
Loc: South Omaha, Nebraska
I have been impressed with PB Blaster, looks like I will have to check out Kroil.

Thanks for the tip.

John

2015 is the year to get them on the road!

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Viking 40

My Flicker Photos!

#215174 - Wed Sep 06 2006 01:55 AM Re: My PB Blaster vs. Kroil test
Inky05 Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: N.E. Pennsylvania

--------------------
'48 1-1/2 ton Dump
'57 Chevy Panel
'59 Chevy 2 ton Dump
#215175 - Wed Sep 06 2006 08:43 AM Re: My PB Blaster vs. Kroil test
Achipmunk Offline
Loc: Boiling Springs, S. C. 29316
packrat, most industrial supplies carry it and "some" parts houses. I use to get it in a can like WD-40 but now I can only find it in a larger can and use my own squirt bottle. Its the best stuff around. The plant I worked at for many many years tried it all.....and ended up using Kroil to. I have a quart of it!!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
#215176 - Wed Sep 06 2006 10:02 AM Re: My PB Blaster vs. Kroil test
Billybolt Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Bay Area, CA
sea foam
Test this stuff out. Its expensive but good. It even sprays upside down.
Sea foam, Deep Creep
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  cletis 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->