The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Thank you for supporting those who support this site!
Happy New Year

Ring in the new year with some quality time with your old truck! Now is a great time to tackle a winter project. If you do not have access to your truck, start your parts list for spring!

The days are officially getting longer now, you know!

American Classic Truck Parts still offers a 10% discount to Stovebolters for items in stock.

Keep Warm!

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
2016 Calendars!
12 months of Stovebolts

We have seven 2016 calendars (two all new) in the Hoo-ya Shoppe and we are working on more.

Check for details!

Who's Online
39 registered (bluedot38, 48bigtrucks, azcornman, 66flea, 2-Ton, 5WINDOWJOHN, 2 invisible), 204 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
37,952 Registered Members
47 Forums
99,332 Topics
770,356 Posts

Most users ever online: 509 @ Thu Nov 12 2015 04:34 PM
Today's Birthdays
Bill Hollywood, edburgess1, garyclyde123, Hayseed, Jimmy1972, Josh Mock, ldrsedge, old52pu, Slade, susan, trombone, van108
Image Posting Policy
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Driveline
Jerry, you are absolutely correct - " one-twelfth turn" is exactly what it says. I'd love to blame my glasses, but I can't. Thanks Jerry, you've been a big help.
The Engine Shop
N8dawg: not sure if this would work for you on your 47 1st 3800 long bed but on my 48 I used 2 Pontiac Fiero tanks parallel to the driveshaft (I wanted to reserve the space behind the rear axle for my spare). The Fiero tanks are long and skinny, 10
Truck Parts Wanted
Jump to new posts Re: Oil Pan for '54-'62 Six Cylinder 235 by vietnmvetr65 @ Mon Feb 08 2016 11:42 AM

I have an oil pan off of a 1960 Chevrolet pickup 235 if it will work for you email rheine@ruraltel.net Ron
The Engine Shop
Jump to new posts Re: 235 Oil line question by Truck named Bill @ Mon Feb 08 2016 11:41 AM

Ok, I pulled the forward rocker off and the oiling groove is in the center of the rocker. So, correct me if I am wrong, to get rid of the exterior oil line, I will have to have a drilled head bolt along with the oil restricting bushing mentioned in P
General Truck Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Insurance on Truck with Mismatched numbers by Smiles @ Mon Feb 08 2016 11:37 AM

What does one run into if the vehicle is registered with engine sn. And has been changed over to another engine and not changed on the title? I guess this means a trip to the DMV to correct with numbers on door plate. Is this a correct assumption on
Paint and Body Shop
Jump to new posts Re: Tailgate dimension? by Flatblu4748 @ Mon Feb 08 2016 11:22 AM

KL: thanks for the measurement, but, I'm working on something where I'll need to repeat that dimension. I've measured two other 48-53 AD tailgates this weekend and they were 49 3/4 and 49 7/8......only an 1/8" difference (understandable produc
General Truck Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Insurance on Truck with Mismatched numbers by Mike B @ Mon Feb 08 2016 11:20 AM

There shouldn't be a hornet's nest created, the title matches the truck now, so everything is legal. I would just want to get the title off of the engine number so it can be replaced without issues at a later date...to me it would be worth the call..
General Truck Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Insurance on Truck with Mismatched numbers by cletis @ Mon Feb 08 2016 11:14 AM

Originally Posted By Mike BGreat news! If that was my truck, I'd see what I needed to do to have the DMV issue the title with the Chassis number. That way you and the next guy will never have an issue if the engine needed to be replaced. Mike B
Truck Parts Wanted
Jump to new posts Re: headliner center moulding 1946 Chevy truck by triplep @ Mon Feb 08 2016 11:03 AM

There are two styles of headliner bows . One with screws that attach to the top of the roof for a two piece headliner . Another for the early trucks with a 1 piece headliners that had a single screw hole in the center to hold up the headliner. It ha
Big Bolts
Jump to new posts Re: 51 GMC Rear Axle trouble. Help Please!!! by crenwelge @ Mon Feb 08 2016 11:03 AM

An option on a 300 series GMC was a 5.43 single speed, but they are not very plentiful. I wold suggest finding a complete 2 speed out of a 350 series and just locking it in high range. It will run as fast as you have hp to pull it.
Big Bolts
Jump to new posts Re: 51 GMC Rear Axle trouble. Help Please!!! by Mike B @ Mon Feb 08 2016 10:55 AM

My guess on weight would be about 11-12,000 pounds if you still have the pump installed. Mike B
Big Bolts
Jump to new posts Re: Brake upgrade by 3B @ Mon Feb 08 2016 10:52 AM

Hy Super55, I like the system drawings you linked but I find the Domec pictures to be too small. I assume his bracket will move the booster/master cylinder towards the rear of the truck and down below the centerline of the frame this will allow the s
Big Bolts
Jump to new posts Re: 51 GMC Rear Axle trouble. Help Please!!! by mgreene @ Mon Feb 08 2016 10:49 AM

Not sure on the current weight because we removed the old water tank completely from it. It has the 248 engine and does have the external shaft for the 2 speed. Will try to get the teeth counted adapt.
The Engine Shop
Have you looked at the universal tank from Tanks Inc? http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/p...prod/prd129.htm Maybe they can build you a tank??? Mike B
The Old Dominion Stovebolt Society (MD, VA, WV & DC)
Jump to new posts Re: Heads Up - Tidewater Stovebolt Mid March Luncheon by mobileortho @ Mon Feb 08 2016 10:44 AM

Smoke BBQ in Newport News has some good que too.
The Engine Shop
Jump to new posts Re: Camshaft retainer plate by Pre '68 Dave @ Mon Feb 08 2016 10:39 AM

The Engine Shop
Jump to new posts Re: 1959 235 Oil Pan Aggravation by Joe H @ Mon Feb 08 2016 10:30 AM

Deve, you asked about sealers. Have you ever used Right-Stuff sealer? You can use it on very damaged sheet metal, like your pan and still get a good seal. Be warned, you will probably bend the pan getting back off if needed. This stuff will seal a
The Engine Shop
Jump to new posts Re: Gas cap by Jim Sears @ Mon Feb 08 2016 10:13 AM

exactly what that overly strong spring will cause. Since they are making them so nothing can escape, they made a monster. If the spring was very weak (1/10 psi check valve)a full tank in a cold condition would suck in air as the gas contracted. The
The Engine Shop
Jump to new posts Re: Gas cap by HandyAndy1947 @ Mon Feb 08 2016 10:07 AM

I had the same experience last summer. The truck would actually start running very rough and wouldn't idle. When I removed the gas cap, I could hear that air rush in. I've also taken the same approach as Jim. Without the spring on the 'vented' ga
Driveline
That specification should probably read "1/12 turn". That's half of one flat on the locknut, which is a pretty easy guesstimate. Jerry
The Electrical Bay
Jump to new posts Re: 69 C10 Starter or Solenoid Problem? by dwightviking1960 @ Mon Feb 08 2016 09:44 AM

Jerry.......Yes, good point about the battery determining charging voltage, and the Reg. kinda taking orders. Yep....I have been checking voltage at the battery posts. With the brand new battery installed at full charge, and after driving the tru
General Truck Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Insurance on Truck with Mismatched numbers by Double Clutchin' @ Mon Feb 08 2016 09:40 AM

Yes, I will more than likely do that just to help keep it less confusing. D C
Interiors
Jump to new posts Re: '38 Windshield Crank Assembly by Achipmunk @ Mon Feb 08 2016 09:38 AM

Steve, you have 5 post. Your good to go. In fact, I just sent you one to verify your OK. Also good morning Joe......
Driveline
Yeah, the service manual says to back it off 1/12 inch ( 30 degrees). I think the 30 degrees is easier to estimate and that's what i plan to do. Thanks to all who've responded. Ronnie
The Engine Shop
Jump to new posts Re: Radiators by Achipmunk @ Mon Feb 08 2016 09:32 AM

Mike, there is some good reading here.... http://www.usradiator.com/cores I think this will answer your questions. Cooling also depends on the fan, how high/low it is on the radiator, and whether or not a shroud is used.
Page 34 of 43 < 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 42 43 >

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->