The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Thank you for supporting those who support this site!

Spring is here!

If you are bringing the old truck out of winter storage, or up from the woods, be sure to check the Tech Tip for a few helpful hints.

If you have some work to do before you go cruising, be sure to check out what parts you need from American Classic Truck Parts. They still offer a 10% discount to Stovebolters.

Stovebolt On!

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online
33 registered (49oneton, Allen Lane, 66flea, baldeagle, 78buckshot, 69Cuda, 5 invisible), 209 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
38,383 Registered Members
47 Forums
101,005 Topics
784,947 Posts

Most users ever online: 509 @ Thu Nov 12 2015 04:34 PM
Today's Birthdays
52 pick-up, coppertinman, daviper1996, deimos540, Mr. Pickett, Rick In VA
Image Posting Policy
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Electrical Bay
Jump to new posts Re: Need advice by Grey Hair @ Wed May 18 2016 04:47 PM

I have never wired a truck and I agree it isnt that complicated, I have got the motor running just a short run but it does run. I do know enough not to plug anything in until I know for sure that's where it goes so I am waiting on the shop manual to
General Truck Talk
Jump to new posts 1953 GMC 1/2 TON by NORM FREEMAN @ Wed May 18 2016 04:32 PM

REWORKING STEERING SOMEONE ELSE WORKED ON BEFORE MYSELF. TURNS TO RIGHT COMPLETLY,TO LEFT 3/4. CAN SECTOR BE ASSEMBLED WRONG TO CAUSE THIS? (Moderator removed Hydramatic question. Please post it in the driveline forum. And take off the caps lock,
Driveline
Jump to new posts Re: different 3 speed transmissions by rfs56trk @ Wed May 18 2016 04:16 PM

It will bolt up to your bellhousing but it will not work with a closed driveline. Fred
Stovebolt Spotting Alert Network
Jump to new posts Re: 702 V12 for sale by Grigg @ Wed May 18 2016 03:57 PM

I sold one a few years ago that was a core for sure, likely rebuildable but stuck. That price sounds OK but you have to actually want the thing, And want to spend a lot more money on 12 and 24 times everything to rebuild it. Just think of buying 24
Driveline
Jump to new posts Re: different 3 speed transmissions by pking75 @ Wed May 18 2016 03:55 PM

Does anybody know if this one will work? https://greenville.craigslist.org/pts/5576769972.html
Big Bolts
Jump to new posts Re: Info needed on 39 COE by Brad Allen @ Wed May 18 2016 03:55 PM

I am no expert on the COE's but all that I have looked at from mid 30's to the 1st Series 55 had a remote type. Spanky or one of the COE experts will be along I am sure with the correct answer.
The Engine Shop
Jump to new posts Re: Hot 235 by gusco @ Wed May 18 2016 03:55 PM

Interesting that you mention the gasket. I originally replaced the gasket with one that looked like the one I took out (no gasket under the standoff. Since it didn't work, I switched gaskets a few times. Perhaps the issue lies somewhere in the power
Driveline
Jump to new posts Does the stock 46 1/2 ton rearend have a vent? by Big Tee @ Wed May 18 2016 03:50 PM

And if it does, where is it located? I'll be danged if I can find one. Pictures would be even better. Thanks!
Welcome Centre
Jump to new posts Re: New guy in Ms. by kades51 @ Wed May 18 2016 03:49 PM

Thanks folks. It's cool to see where everybody's location is. And yesterday I saw that Red 49 Truck is not that far at all from me. So I look a pics of his truck, and others for that matter, and having spent every weekend and a lot of weekday evenin
Panels 'N Burbs
Jump to new posts Re: Unknown lights, front and rear by 1953 panel @ Wed May 18 2016 03:47 PM

They didn't have reverse lights, I wouldn't assume anything. Who knows what was added by someone, sometime. Pics would help, GMC had other differences besides the parking lights.
The Whole Wild West Coast
Jump to new posts Stovebolt mechanics in Sacramento, CA? by Sean e @ Wed May 18 2016 03:34 PM

Looking for a mechanic in my town that can help me install a 235 into my 55. Never done it and want to make sure I do it right, thanks.
Driveline
Jump to new posts Re: different 3 speed transmissions by pking75 @ Wed May 18 2016 02:50 PM

I guess what I really need to know is which transmissions can I use that will bolt up to my original 216 bell housing with my original enclosed drive shaft. I'm pretty sure the truck came with a Muncie 3 speed is that correct? If so that is what I ha
Driveline
Originally Posted By 35truckI added some photos in photo bucket that show the okie has the same or as my torque tube, and shows the bushings, front is bronze , and rear, with the two grooves and the cork remnants I removed. Was just the CORK oil s
Driveline
Jump to new posts Re: Parking Brake diagram by kades51 @ Wed May 18 2016 02:35 PM

First picture matches it, so that would be Bendix. My understanding is 1951 and up was different than 1950 and before. I could be wrong on that and there may have been Huck used on the later years also. I know what mine looks like, and it's Bendix. I
General Truck Talk
Jump to new posts Re: 17" Tire options by Goach2 @ Wed May 18 2016 02:30 PM

So Coker has a few tubes to choose from. In an effort to get all the right bits at the same time, can anyone tell me if one of the tubes are better for stock wheels than the others? Also, are the 'flaps' really necessary? AND finally, is a 'Non-DO
Panels 'N Burbs
Jump to new posts Unknown lights, front and rear by Biglou @ Wed May 18 2016 02:24 PM

Greetings all, I just got my 49' Suburban running I bought this last month It has small round lights on the front fenders, below the headlights. Additionally the same type of lights are installed at each corner in the rear. I assuming these are rever
Doors
Jump to new posts Re: Adjusting lower door hinge outward by cmayna @ Wed May 18 2016 02:22 PM

Thanks. Will give it a try after my camping trip.
General Truck Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Goodyear 7.50-17 Tires by LONGBOX55 @ Wed May 18 2016 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By EdPrussSome tire shops refuse to mount anything more than 5 years old! Ed That's from new regulations from the DOT as well as the RMA. When dealing with new stock, anything over 6 years old can't even be sold as a "new"
Driveline
Jump to new posts Re: Parking Brake diagram by Steve_H @ Wed May 18 2016 02:15 PM

Huck or Bendix? It matters. Bendix rear picture: http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm0515.htm figure 30. Huck rear http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1947truck/47ctsm0510.htm figure 21
Driveline
Jump to new posts Re: Transmission identification and swap question. by Donf @ Wed May 18 2016 02:11 PM

These are the issues that I know of when converting from a crash box to a sm420 four speed: 1. bellhousing bolt pattern is different and input shaft bearing retainer diameter is bigger on the sm420. You will need a bellhousing from 48 through the ea
General Truck Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Goodyear 7.50-17 Tires by EdPruss @ Wed May 18 2016 02:04 PM

Some tire shops refuse to mount anything more than 5 years old! Ed
Driveline
Jump to new posts Re: 51 chevy 3600 rear end options by Claude427 @ Wed May 18 2016 01:51 PM

TO: DMGfifty: Hi! I joined the site so I could talk to you first! Since I am a healthcare professional and a wannabe old car guy that has to hire most of the work out, I need to ask for some clarification about your post (not safe for me to make assu
The Tool Chest
Jump to new posts Re: Battery Charger Repair by 69Cuda @ Wed May 18 2016 01:51 PM

Diodes should be a fairly cheap swap as a test. I used to use diodes similar to these from golf car chargers back in the day, (used to have a golf car repair business) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Golf-cart-charger-parts-EZGO-diode-set-for-Powerwise-and-t
Welcome Centre
Jump to new posts Re: New guy in Ms. by 69Cuda @ Wed May 18 2016 01:45 PM

welcome to the site!!
The Engine Shop
Jump to new posts Re: Main bearing caps by Steve_H @ Wed May 18 2016 01:40 PM

I keep my Brace and Bits on display. Reminder of WORK. Modern drill motors do most of the work now. Got a plastic drill gauge to avoid confusion(cheaper than safety bifocals). Hones hone, drills drill and machine work is money. Not so hard.
Page 34 of 38 < 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 >

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->