The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
American Classic
Truck Parts

Fall is here!

Irwin A with a tip for engine swap

The last of the shows will soon be only digital pictures and fond memories. If you are getting your Bolt ready for some last cruises, or just thinking about putting her up for winter, be sure to check out what parts you need from American Classic Truck Parts. They still offer a 10% discount to Stovebolters.

Stovebolt On!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online
19 registered (491ton, azcornman, 58limited, 46possum, 53 Dumpy, 2 invisible), 652 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
39,527 Registered Members
48 Forums
105,744 Topics
824,780 Posts

Most users ever online: 910 @ Sat Sep 10 2016 09:53 PM
Today's Birthdays
17dave, dhckdkcsk, Jered, Paul's53chevy, {-_-}
Image Posting Policy
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13 >
New Reply
Topic Options
#732962 - Thu Mar 24 2011 04:02 PM Tango's '46 Shorty Bus
Tango Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Texas
As is with an '80's 350 gas sucker. Hoping to mod with a little Cummins 4d torquer. A little interior redo to outfit as a combo camper & mobile workshop.

'46 Shorty Bus http://www.flickr.com/photos/tango88/5539343633/

All my best --- Tango
#732980 - Thu Mar 24 2011 04:58 PM Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: Tango]
squeeze Offline
Master Gabster
Loc: Vancouver Island
sweet lookin ride Tango, a welcome addition to the garage

Bill
#733126 - Fri Mar 25 2011 09:20 AM Re: Tango's '46 Shorty Bus [Re: squeeze]
Rich'sToys Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Janesville, Mn
Cool bus!!
Welcome to Stovebolt!

'47 Loadmaster

The indignation of politicians is NOT a good measure of the gravity of any situation!--Paul Harvey

I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.

#740369 - Mon Apr 18 2011 02:55 PM Updated Pix of '46... [Re: Rich'sToys]
Tango Offline
Shop Shark
Hello All --- Well, I finally got a look at this darlin' up close & personal. And I am very happy to say, it is in better shape than I had even hoped for! Sure, , it needs a ton (or in this case...a ton & a half, since that's the chassis it's on) of work, but it is a great little starter platform. Very little rust with only a couple of small replacement patches needed next to the front fenders and one "wrinkle" next to the entry door. The latex house paint is peeling, but that's coming off anyway. Mechanically it is surprisingly solid. Recent brake rebuild, working parking brake (a big deal, actually) and a snazzy new custom, aluminum radiator. The 1980's vintage 350 motor runs great but will be (hopefully) replaced with a Cummins 4BTAA. The original 4-speed tranny sounds good but hoping for an Allison auto with 5 speeds. And speaking of speed, as with nearly all these old hill climbers and house movers, tops is maybe 55. If the Allison gears won't bring that up enough, then a new rearend will be in order.

And BTW...I am still in the process of looking for a reliable transport service to get it from Utah to Houston, so if anyone here has any recommendations, experience, horror stories...please...pass them along. That business is so BS intensive that it's as scary as it is annoying, so a personal reference will go a long ways with me.

I have just started laying out the interior as well as a couple of exterior mods. As you can see in the pix, it has already undergone some degree of conversion so I have a bit of a head-start there. Not much space to work with, but hey, not that much to build out either! If I can figure out how to do the drawings in Google Sketch, I'll post as I go.

Many thanks to everyone who makes this Board so very cool!

I have started an album here...
Tango's '46 Chevy Skoolie Project

All my best --- Tango
#744257 - Mon May 02 2011 10:54 PM Re: Updated Pix of '46... [Re: Tango]
Tango Offline
Shop Shark
Howdy All-- just added a couple of images created with Google SketchUp. Great little free program for rendering in real 3D. Took a couple of days to figure out the basics but I have to say, for anyone doing an RV floorplan...this is the trick set up. And like I said, free to boot. The pix are in an album I just started for the purpose of keeping up with this conversion project. I did finally find a transporter so my Shorty should be here mid-June. Then I can finally get going in the real world instead of just "virtual".

Here is the album...
Tango's '46 Chevy Shorty

All my best --- Tango
#744265 - Mon May 02 2011 11:43 PM Re: Updated Pix of '46... [Re: Tango]
Achipmunk Offline
Loc: Boiling Springs, S. C. 29316
coming along real good Tango. I like the wood stove, or is it gas? Nice project. I's say its KOOOL.
1950 Chevy Coupe

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
#744355 - Tue May 03 2011 10:34 AM Re: Updated Pix of '46... [Re: Achipmunk]
Tango Offline
Shop Shark
Howdy Achip...the stove is a very nice little wood burner. Unfortunately, it will not work into the new floorplan in its' present location. I will definitely have to remove it to accommodate the bed, just hope I can find a spot for it somewhere else. Might come in handy if I ever decide to leave the Tropics and head North.

All my best --- Tango
#748568 - Fri May 20 2011 02:14 PM Re: Updated Pix of '46... [Re: Tango]
Tango Offline
Shop Shark
Howdy All --- I just snagged a clean YOM (year of manufacture) Texas license plate for my '46. Hoo-yah! And I only need one. It seems Texas only issued single plates during WWII to save on metal.

All my best --- Tango
#749906 - Thu May 26 2011 10:49 AM Re: Updated Pix of '46... [Re: Tango]
Tango Offline
Shop Shark
Still (anxiously) awaiting the arrival of my Shorty, but in the meantime, continue with planning. And besides all the books and literature I have been able to find on the 1-1/2 ton Chevy truck chassis, I have only ordered two parts so far. A repop of the front Chevy emblem (the original was heavily painted over)...and, the above mentioned license plate. Still on the hunt for a good 4BT Cummins engine and a 5 or 6 speed tranny. Good thing I'm in no rush, there is a lot to get done (and buy) before this dumplin' is ready for the road.

Given the very small interior I have to work with, I am now designing an enlarged roof-rack system and an extended rear bumper deck. Wondering if anyone has tried or built a slide-out style rear deck that can be extended when parked (?). Hey...if they can do it with whole bedrooms...why not a portable patio for enjoying Margaritas ?

All my best --- Tango
#750655 - Mon May 30 2011 11:15 AM Re: Updated Pix of '46... [Re: Tango]
Tango Offline
Shop Shark
Just a reminder that Memorial is about more than 75% off furniture sales.

Take a moment to remember those who paid for the freedoms you enjoy everyday in this country and say "Thank You" to those who paid full price on your behalf.

Every time I meet another Vet for the first time, I respond with "Thank you and Welcome Home". Try it. You might be surprised at how much it means to them. No matter how long it's been.

All my best --- Tango
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13 >

Moderator:  J Lucas 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->