The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
American Classic
Truck Parts

Fall is here!

Irwin A with a tip for engine swap

The last of the shows will soon be only digital pictures and fond memories. If you are getting your Bolt ready for some last cruises, or just thinking about putting her up for winter, be sure to check out what parts you need from American Classic Truck Parts. They still offer a 10% discount to Stovebolters.

Stovebolt On!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online
19 registered (491ton, azcornman, 58limited, 46possum, 53 Dumpy, 2 invisible), 652 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
39,527 Registered Members
48 Forums
105,744 Topics
824,780 Posts

Most users ever online: 910 @ Sat Sep 10 2016 09:53 PM
Today's Birthdays
17dave, dhckdkcsk, Jered, Paul's53chevy, {-_-}
Image Posting Policy
New Reply
Topic Options
#1209592 - Mon Mar 20 2017 09:13 PM 235 valve train questions
ASU Offline
New Guy
Loc: Butler, PA
I will start out with the background, I have a 235 in my 1948 3600. Obviously not original, but I started doing some checking. The block casting # is 3738307. The number above the starter Is CON4 A228. The number beside the distributor is FI27A. All this points to a January 1958 235.

Now for the real questions, Any idea if this motor has hydraulic lifters? I suspect it does, but do not really want to pull the side cover to see. Secondly, when setting the rocker arm clearance for hydraulic lifters, does it need to be done hot? The valves are noisy, but I think part of the problem is the oil passage is partially plugged as it takes about 2 minutes at idle to get oil out of all the rocker arm weep holes. I want to get all my facts straight before I pull the rocker arm shaft out for cleaning.

Thanks for the help. Jon
#1209597 - Mon Mar 20 2017 09:41 PM Re: 235 valve train questions [Re: ASU]
tclederman Offline
Loc: Jarvisburg, NC
F121A engine serial number:

F = Flint, MI engine plant
12 = December
1 - 1st day of the month
A = automobile 235 engine with manual transmission

All car 235 engines from 1956 onwards had hydraulic lifters.

"Secondly, when setting the rocker arm clearance for hydraulic lifters, does it need to be done hot?"
Yes, "normalize the engine" and adjust the hydraulic lifters as per Shop Manual.

Moderator:  53moneypit, Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->