The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
Indianapolis Fabrications

Talk to Randy Domeck

See what they
can do
for you
!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online
36 registered (66flea, bluedot38, 69Cuda, ArtA, 3 invisible), 547 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
39,731 Registered Members
48 Forums
106,135 Topics
830,138 Posts

Most users ever online: 940 @ Tue Apr 04 2017 09:52 PM
Today's Birthdays
fixitguy, John Jr., spdzrus
Image Posting Policy
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
New Reply
Topic Options
#1175878 - Thu Jul 28 2016 09:24 PM 1948 Big Bolt and I think I've lost my mind...
Micah Offline
New Guy
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Good evening everyone -
It is with nervous excitement and trepidation that I come and introduce myself. What started as an innocent comment at a local festival by my wife to my brother-in-law, "I've always wanted an old truck like that." has led to a 1948 Chevy Loadmaster 6400 sitting out by the shop. It's not like we don't have three teenagers (one in college and two in high school), a family business and my corporate job, church and family to keep us busy. We thought it'd be fun to add something else like this into the mix... big_eek

Seriously, we love fixing up old stuff. Our first house was 128 years old with no walls, plumbing or electricity so this is par for the course. We'd like to introduce our new 68 year old baby to you folks!

And here she is!

Today I made the first step, I dropped the radiator off at the radiator shop as well as the fuel tank. The first good news is that the fuel tank has too much rust damage to repair so now I will add that to the official list of things to buy. The truck was running when it was parked 10 years ago. I know that's always the story but I know the seller and he can be trusted. (It's my brother-in-law's father. See how that happened....)

Anyway, we look forward to a rewarding journey of getting the beauty back on the road. Plans are to make her road-worthy but not a full restoration. I'd like to put a stakeside bed on it when I get things squared away mechanically.

Always welcome any directions on parts providers and tips and techniques we might find handy. I am thinking my 17 y/o son and 16 y/o daughter still at home will come in handy too.

Micah
-comfortably south of Atlanta, GA

Edited by Peggy M (Wed Aug 31 2016 10:35 AM)
Edit Reason: Fixed pix link

1948 Chevrolet 6400 Loadmaster -in progress
"Lucille"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flicrk

2006 VW Jetta TDI
2000 Land Rover Discovery (yes, it is used as it was intended)
1979 Vespa P125X with sidecar
1971 BMW R60/5
...and a couple of old Gravely tractors.
#1175892 - Thu Jul 28 2016 10:38 PM Re: 1948 Big Bolt and I think I've lost my mind... [Re: Micah]
1953 panel Offline
Loc: Oakwood, Ontario Canada
Welcome Micah, lots of those big trucks here, you should fit right in. Be sure to check out the big bolts. Be sure to have the teenagers help you out. Good luck.
Leo
#1175897 - Thu Jul 28 2016 10:50 PM Re: 1948 Big Bolt and I think I've lost my mind... [Re: Micah]
Achipmunk Offline
Loc: Boiling Springs, S. C. 29316
Micah, can't seem to get the link to work? Says I need to sign in to flickr.
That's a nice story on the truck....and great news with all that help you have around! Just having someone to hand you things is a tremendous help so you don't have to get up and down a million times for one little problem.
As Leo suggested, be sure to check in at the Big Bolt Forum and get to know the guys. Take a look at the links, pictures ect.

Should you not be able to see a couple things its because as a new member you are "moderated" for the first 4 post. It helps us to keep out unwanted guest. After that many post you will be able to send PM's (private messages) and access to the Greasy Spoon, the Swap Meet section and anything else Stovebolt has to offer.
Good luck, ask questions in the most appropriate forums and let us help you on the journey....it appears you already have the "disease" after looking at your list of vehicles!!
1950 Chevy Coupe

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
#1175899 - Thu Jul 28 2016 11:00 PM Re: 1948 Big Bolt and I think I've lost my mind... [Re: Micah]
joker Offline
Moderator, Passing Lane
Loc: lost tx
big welcome from Tx, enjoy the ride.. would love to see
pix of your collection..

My Hotrod

I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

#1175902 - Thu Jul 28 2016 11:10 PM Re: 1948 Big Bolt and I think I've lost my mind... [Re: Micah]
Rich'sToys Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Janesville, Mn
Welcome to the Bolt! And congratulations on the Big Bolt. As I've always said, anyone can have a pickup!! Lots of good info over in the Big Bolt forum. Will look forward to seeing pictures at some point.

'47 Loadmaster

The indignation of politicians is NOT a good measure of the gravity of any situation!--Paul Harvey

I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.

#1175915 - Fri Jul 29 2016 12:52 AM Re: 1948 Big Bolt and I think I've lost my mind... [Re: Micah]
69Cuda Online
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Loc: Seattle, Wa.
welcome to the site! I have a couple big bolts myself. First ride in mine was with white knuckles and a huge grin! Now, it is just a huge grin every time I drive it! (little less now that it has mufflers and not open stacks)! LOL

1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
#1175935 - Fri Jul 29 2016 09:01 AM Re: 1948 Big Bolt and I think I've lost my mind... [Re: Micah]
Micah Offline
New Guy
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Pictures of the 6400.

"Lucille"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flicrk

2006 VW Jetta TDI
1971 BMW R60/5
#1175973 - Fri Jul 29 2016 11:57 AM Re: 1948 Big Bolt and I think I've lost my mind... [Re: Micah]
69Cuda Online
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
That looks like a real solid truck!

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

#1175975 - Fri Jul 29 2016 12:06 PM Re: 1948 Big Bolt and I think I've lost my mind... [Re: Micah]
Micah Offline
New Guy
Thanks Mike - it really is solid and in very good condition considering all things. I get a little overwhelmed because there are so many things that need to be addressed. However, as I read the forums and read about folks who have doors that don't open (or no doors at all), glass that's broken and major assemblies MIA, I count my blessings. I am looking at replacing a few items but most everything is accounted for. I know I am looking for a fuel tank and wheels and tires but I want to get her running off of a small fuel can before I start getting too far down that road.... little steps I need to remind myself.

"Lucille"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flicrk

2006 VW Jetta TDI
1971 BMW R60/5
#1175984 - Fri Jul 29 2016 12:50 PM Re: 1948 Big Bolt and I think I've lost my mind... [Re: Micah]
69Cuda Online
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
yep, little steps. Get it running like you said, then moving and stopping, then lights... that is my normal progression on a new to me vehicle. Then you can at least go around the block! I then drive it a bit and figure out what else I need to do to make it more reliable and how far I want to go as far as tearing into it, body off the frame, just drive it as-is, or somewhere in-between!

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  J Lucas 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->