The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
American Classic
Truck Parts

Fall is here!

Irwin A with a tip for engine swap

The last of the shows will soon be only digital pictures and fond memories. If you are getting your Bolt ready for some last cruises, or just thinking about putting her up for winter, be sure to check out what parts you need from American Classic Truck Parts. They still offer a 10% discount to Stovebolters.

Stovebolt On!

Stovebolt Site Search
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online
57 registered (49nut, 3B, 5 Window 9434, 48bigtrucks, 1953 panel, 3 invisible), 692 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
39,515 Registered Members
48 Forums
105,692 Topics
824,383 Posts

Most users ever online: 910 @ Sat Sep 10 2016 09:53 PM
Today's Birthdays
40_chevy, bigfoot, chevy1938, Chief36chevy, james b., jots, K-FLY, lightfoot, ruhere, White Elephant
Image Posting Policy
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
New Reply
Topic Options
#1128589 - Thu Oct 08 2015 06:19 PM 1959 GMC Shortbox Custom Wideside Deluxe
FootStomper Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hi Bolters!
I'd like to share with you my family owned 1959 GMC Shortbox Custom Wideside Deluxe since 1973.

As the subject line mentions, it was factory built with a 235/3 speed (261 now resides), radio and speaker, chrome gauge package, deluxe heater controls, passenger visor and door panels, head liner, dual mirrors, dual door locks, deluxe upholstery package along with the exterior stainless trim on the box side and around the windows. This was a "businessman's truck" and a far cry from a working farm truck.

EDIT ADD ON: Here's a very poor picture of it that I took as young lad while experimenting with photography... I think... can you confirm a 1959 GMC? CLUE: The picture is printed reverse I believe!
What kind of car is parked behind it? It you say what I think it to be I'll confirm. Send PM.
Original ppicture

My Dad brought this truck home in 1973ish and I helped him sand it down for the brown paint job and we've had it in the family ever since. I drove it to high school in around 1980. (Parking lot stories left out on purpose)
My sister and brother-in-law did a partial lead restore with fresh brown paint in the mid 80's but it went back to dad around 1990 and really hasn't had anything done to it since except regular maintenance, a rear end change to a higher set of gears.

It's still a daily driver but needs some cancer repair and the cab has never been off the frame since it was assembled at the plant. My high school buddy has offered to do the work and am extremely honored to have him do it as he has restored many vehicles before and I know his work and attention to detail is top notch!

I found a local deal on 5 Coker 7.50R 16 107P wide white wall tires and 16" 3 clip rims to really finish it off. I've decided to restore it for a couple of reasons. One, my grandfather and my dad and I have had a real appreciation for original restored vehicles... especially the rare ones. Our stables have had or still do 1930 Chevy 3 window coupe, 1935 Chevy Standard partial resto, 1953 Chevy, 1969 442 and the 59 GMC. Second reason is it's very rare and I'd hate to see this one butchered. Third, it's so very close to original now, it's not much to take it back to original.

The 59 is going back to its original colors of Omaha Orange and Bombay Ivory accent. The front bumper will go chrome (I think) but grill and bezels will go Ivory. The stacks are going to be ancient history too!

The interior brown plaid is going the same demise as the stacks (sorry dad) because the new color scheme is not going to accept the brown plaid. The radio was out getting fixed when this picture was taken thus the glove box door and dash disassembly.

Putting the gas tank under box but will leave the existing filler cap. Carrying a spare standing up in box will not be the best but will have to do unless I can figure out another option like fastening it to the bed wood laying on its side.

Here are some pictures of it while dad drives it before it gets the make over.
Daily Driver

Edited by FootStomper (Thu Nov 12 2015 06:08 PM)

1959 GMC 9310 Canadian- built Shortbox Fleetside Deluxe
FootStomper
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Project Journals Forum
#1128837 - Sat Oct 10 2015 11:06 AM Re: 1959 GMC 9310 Canadian built Shortbox Fleetside Deluxe [Re: FootStomper]
59 Apache Dlx Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Butte Creek Canyon, CA
Darcy,

Thanks for re-posting the photos. Great looking truck and nice appointments. I'm excited to see pictures when it goes back to Omaha Orange and Bombay Ivory!

Don't know if you like them, but I always thought the GMC Task Force "bullet style" front bumper guards were unique and really had character. Not sure how hard it would be to find an original painted pair...

Bob
#1128925 - Sun Oct 11 2015 01:11 AM Re: 1959 GMC 9310 Canadian built Shortbox Fleetside Deluxe [Re: FootStomper]
FootStomper Offline
Shop Shark
Thanks Bob. I'm glad picture link is working.

I haven't seen the bullets on a 59....did see on 58 however.

FootStomper
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#1131490 - Mon Oct 26 2015 07:43 PM Re: 1959 GMC 9310 Canadian built Shortbox Fleetside Deluxe [Re: FootStomper]
FootStomper Offline
Shop Shark
UPDATE

First off, I have paid to have a concept drawing of the '59.
Concept Drawing
Credit goes to Gerard Bloomaert www.gerardgraffix.com

This last weekend I paid a visit to my dad and we experienced the "hand me down" ritual. I took some pictures of it on the road to my buddie's house. Complete with luggage, spare parts stacked on front seat and the truck box nearly full with three tailgates and the 16" 3 clip rims. Dad and me on "hand me down" day
Some tears were shed and ideas discussed about it's restoration and at the end of the day, it was a great couple of days with my dad as we live 500 miles apart and I don't get to see him often these days. We took it into town for it's first work... a new exhaust system. Dad sure liked his stacks and was a little sad to see them go. He just HAD to BRRAAAPPPP them in the shop after he drove the truck up on the hoist! haha
"Al" did a fantastic job as he's been bending pipe for 30 years. He offered to dry fit various mufflers for us so we could hear it before the final install. Dad and I really liked the Red Devils R4406 muffler/resonator so we decided on them. Dad said they were quieter than his stack straight pipes behind the cab that he's had on since 1973ish. Quiet enough he could even hear the radio while on the highway. now that's saying something! This is the ol' boy taking her home from the shop. Drive home from muffler shop without the stacks
I regret not getting pictures during the muffler work/process but was so caught up in the experience with Dad that I completely forgot. Here's a link to some pictures I took afterwards. Dual exhaust with Red Devil mufflers

Here's a short video of Dad and bride on their last run together (before the restoration) with the new exhaust. New exhaust drive by

The rims are going to get painted Omaha Orange right away so that Ken can mount the Cokers and then run the truck around town to ensure ride height clearances are good to go. Stuffing a 31" tire in the wheel wells is going to look fantastic! We just want to ensure we can drive it home after the truck is completed.
Coker tires and 16" 3 clip rims

CAUTION NOTE: I made the mistake of stacking my Cokers (see the pictures) and as a result, I've carbon printed some white walls with the black rubber tread edge. Damn! I'm told impossible to remove. big_eek

I grabbed a few detail interior pictures too! Rust included! Notice the deluxe upgrades?
1959 GMC Deluxe Interior

Ken and his wife Janice (who are restoring it for me) are high school friends of mine and live about 35 miles from the exact spot that Dad purchased the truck some 43 years ago.

Edited by FootStomper (Thu Nov 12 2015 06:07 PM)

FootStomper
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#1132366 - Sun Nov 01 2015 10:53 AM Re: 1959 GMC 9310 Canadian built Shortbox Fleetside Deluxe [Re: FootStomper]
FootStomper Offline
Shop Shark
Well we received our new Elm wood for the bed... looks fabulous I think!

I found this very rare elm in Ontario, Canada. It was previously stored in a cabinet makers shop for 25 years, then milled for this era of truck. The man I purchased it from had made enough for two trucks so had an extra set. He even sent along a couple of extra narrow boards.

Elm Bed Wood

Edited by FootStomper (Mon Nov 02 2015 10:11 AM)

FootStomper
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#1132603 - Mon Nov 02 2015 05:41 PM Re: 1959 GMC 9310 Canadian built Shortbox Fleetside Deluxe [Re: FootStomper]
a.d.-hawk Offline
Shop Shark
Loc: Radiator Springs--Cutest Littl...
Good lookin' truck, Darcy!!! Great story & pictures! !

"A Man & His Truck--It's a Beautiful Thing!"

"You're never 100% ready, you're just next"....Ty Murray
#1132953 - Wed Nov 04 2015 10:06 PM Re: 1959 GMC 9310 Canadian built Shortbox Fleetside Deluxe [Re: FootStomper]
FootStomper Offline
Shop Shark
I received some valuable of information about my truck recently. I contacted George at http://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/ and he reported back to me that:
1) My truck is 1 of 2697 GMC shortbox trucks (both step side and wide side included) that were produced in Canada in 1959
2) The official name description of my truck is "GMC Custom Wideside Pickup"

Vintage Vehicle proof

In light of this new information I will change the Subject title of this thread.

I also learned that in Canada, in 1959 only did GMC offer the bedside stainless (along with Chevy). Chevy Apache trucks in the US were only offered this trim exclusively from what I've learned. Chevy Apache trucks are referred to as "Fleetside" not the GMC cousins.

GMC Parts Catalogue No. 595

[/u]

Edited by FootStomper (Sun Nov 08 2015 01:06 PM)

FootStomper
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#1133400 - Sat Nov 07 2015 06:46 PM Re: 1959 GMC 9310 Canadian built Shortbox Fleetside Deluxe [Re: FootStomper]
FootStomper Offline
Shop Shark
I recently acquired a used tailgate and wanted to see just how much body work had been done to it so I ground off most of the filler and then rolled some black RustOleum to keep it from rusting and to help show it's imperfections. You'll notice that the PO had welded a flat panel over the center. That will be removed if I decide to use it.

The jury it still out...

Used tailgate inspection

Edited by FootStomper (Sat Nov 07 2015 06:46 PM)

FootStomper
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#1134483 - Sun Nov 15 2015 06:37 PM Re: 1959 GMC Shortbox Custom Wideside Deluxe [Re: FootStomper]
FootStomper Offline
Shop Shark
I've decided to mount some back up lights and after cruising eBay and Google Images and the forum, I've decided to run the 60 to 66 style. NOS ones are going to be big dollars but I've seen repop for $40 each.

Back up lights switch

A bracket to mount the $10 push switch, some wire and I'll have back up lights for $100!

Fuel tank relocation research lead me to the 1970 Ford Mustang 22 gallon tank. It looks like a mild modification and will run about $200. The other option with zero modifications needed is the L shaped custom for about $700 CDN. Comes with everything including no grief. Fuel tank options

FootStomper
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#1137971 - Sat Dec 05 2015 03:02 PM Re: 1959 GMC Shortbox Custom Wideside Deluxe [Re: FootStomper]
FootStomper Offline
Shop Shark
Today the truck went in the shop which marks the official start date. Dec 5, 2015.

Looks like Ken took off some brown paint on the box side looking for the original Bombay Ivory and found some.
Truck enters restoration shop officially today

I'm looking forward to seeing the next pictures of it coming apart. Here it sits waiting patiently. Waiting and ready for frame off restoration.

More pictures coming soon.

FootStomper
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  HandyAndy1947, John Milliman 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->