| Around the 'Bolt...
Search the 'Bolt - over 100,000 pages of info. Start here if you're hunting!
More than 35,300 registered
from around the world talking old trucks, some hard core restoration help, tall tales and exciting moments (with videos!).
Gallery Over 3,070 old truck stories with photos from Stovebolters worldwide! More in our DITY Gallery. Year at a Glance - all the new Gallery entries from 2014.
Helpful tips on truck restoration, identification, preservation; project stories and Stovebolt histories.
More than 967 useful sites for
information, parts, services, other sites, tools, insurance and a "publications library."
Find out who's doing what, where and when! See who else is in your neighborhood with an old truck. Read some great stories and enjoy all the pictures.
FREE Classified ads for trucks, parts, truck citings, eBay / Craigslist, Hauling Board, Stovebolt Spotting Alert, Freebies! and other good stuff.
Nothing new under the sun ... got some good Frequently Asked Questions here, and will probably have more!
Sagas, Feature Stories, The "Roadkill" Commentaries, The old "It
Ran When I Parked It" Photo Contests, Poster Contest, and some stuff we've
done here and there and don't know where else to put it!
'Bolter wear, calendars, bling and other goodies!
About Us, Contacting Us, Stovebolt Supporters,
and other pertinent administrivia.
Return to the home page
We have 11 done and are taking submissions for more.
Check for details!
Don' resort to this!!!
If you don't find it in the Tech Tips section, you'll certainly find plenty of help in the forums!
Have you checked the forums?
You have an old truck and an insatiable desire to work on it, drive it, learn more about it. You are not alone. There are others like you ... many others ...
The Parking Lot
- General Truck
- Big Bolts
- Stovebolt Volunteer Fire Department
- Daily Drivers
- Panels & 'Burbs
- 1960-1966 Trucks
- Tons 'o Fun
The Shop Area
- The Engine Shop
- The Electrical Bay
- The Radio Bench
- The HiPo Shop
- Paint & Body Shop
- The Doors
- The Tool Chest
- Making a Stovebolt Bed
The DITY Gallery
The Side Lot / The Swap Meet
The Front Office / IT Shortbus
There is no cure
Check out more details in the Stovebolt Gallery of old trucks
"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world." ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off." ~ Bill "red58" LePage
OLD TRUCKS ROCK!
AD Chevy Trucks
Over 6,000 pictures
Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.
This one is on AD Chevy trucks (1947-1955).
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment for you.
These reader-submitted articles are "Living
Documents" -- They will never be "finished" products. You (we) will be
continually adding to these and refining them. So don't limit yourself
or think we have to get a certain amount of info for it to be "done."
They can always be added to and improved.
So ... Submit an
|New for May 2014
||1/2-Ton Truck 3:55 Ring and Pinion Installation -- Lots of good detail and pictures for changing out that rear end in your old 1/2-ton truck and give it some go, go, go! ~ by Chris Sweet
Stainless Conduit for Tail Light Bracket -- Don't get all confused with this job. Harold's got plenty of pictures and some step by step to make it look impressive. ~ by Harold "Harold46" Hodnett
The Advance Design Spotting Guide -- Lots of data: The Overview, Field Guide and Date My Truck. As you head to the junk yard, wouldn't it be handy to tell the year of the truck (to verify it as a viable parts donor) from, say ... 50 feet away? Well, here's several handy guides and take-alongs that should just help with that. ~ by John Milliman and a consortium of Bolters
Shopping for Buying / Selling a Stovebolt
Identifying your truck
|Restoration & Modification
Big Truck (be sure to visit the Big Bolts forum, too)
Electrical Systems (be sure to visit the Electrical Bay in our forums)
Interior (Not here? Well, stop by the Interior forum)
- 1972-2008 GM Passenger and Truck VIN decoding documents -- Randy Luton found this
- The Advance Design Spotting Guide -- Lots of data: The Overview, Field Guide and Date My Truck. As you head to the junk yard, wouldn't it be handy to tell the year of the truck (to verify it as a viable parts donor) from, say ... 50 feet away? Well, here's several handy guides and take-alongs that should just help with that. ~ by John Milliman and a consortium of Bolters
- Chevrolet Series / Model List -- At long
last, a comprehensive list of pickup AND big truck Series and Model
- VIN Buster -- New and improved ... lots of new features provided by Frank "Fumblin46" Anderson
- American Classic Truck Parts VIN decoder -- Automatically decipher your VIN - color, engine, model, engine, transmission, axle
- Deciphering your VIN -- Learn how to let
your truck tell you all about itself! -- by Barry Weeks
- General Motors Heritage Center -- Lots of specific information, plus plenty to see and hear from days gone by but not forgotten
- Gross Vehicle Weight -- Been confused about what your truck can load, pull, weighs? No more! It's all spelled out here by Dave "53Moneypit" Gentry
- In Search of the Elusive '59 VIN -- The other place they hid that elusive VIN --by Kevin Pennell
- Spot Art Deco (1941 - 1947) trucks like an expert -- 1941 to 1947 Chevy Art Deco look alike ... not really -- by Kip Bonds
- Tips and Tricks for reading indented numbers -- Get the gouge from fellow Bolters -- assembled by Woogeroo
- 1939 & 1940 Chevrolet Specs -- Deciphering
your VIN, engine specs, options, wheel base, paint colors, tires, etc.
Windows (Not here? Well, stop by the Interior forum)
Radios (Not here? Well, stop by the Radio Clinic )
Engine (Be sure to check our Engine and Driveline forum, too!)
Transmission & Driveline (Remember, we have an entire forum dedicated to the Engine and Driveline)
Suspension and Steering
General Body Work (Check the Paint and Body forum, too)
Thriftmaster -- A restored '47 216 engine
- 4-Barrel Throttle Linkage -- Ya ain't going anywhere until you connect the foot to the carb!
-- By Jason Sternhagen
- Bellhousings for "Late Six" and V8 Engines -- What fits - by Les "Roadmarks" Parker
- Belt replacement or upgrade -- You've added P/S or A/C -- here's how to measure for a new belt -- By Myron
- Bolts -- Removing broken bolts -- Using your welder to remove those stinkers -- by Brad Allen
- Bolt and Screw Removal -- A few tricks on getting the hards ones out -- by Jim Burleyque and Stovebolt Pit Crew
- Cracked engine block? - repair it! -- It can be done, saving yourself a good bit of money -- by John "53John3100" Rooney
- Dead Engine Back to Life -- Not sure if that dead piece of metal is only asleep? Here is a good step-by-step buide to getting an old engine started back up by The Stovebolt Collective
- Engines - 194's and 207's -- A discussion of the early Stovebolts-- By Barry Weeks
- Engine Dolly -- Build a caddy for your engine with these easy instructions -- by Stephen "Farmdog" Peterson
Serial Number Prefixes -- Is your Chevy engine correct?
Don't know? Here's how to find out -- By John Milliman
Swap* -- How to swap your babbit-pounding 216 for a pressurized
Swap II* -- Swapping out a 216 for a GMC 302 -- By Joel Baumbaugh
- Engine Identification: How to tell 216's,
235's and 261's apart -- A short primer -- By Barry Weeks
- FUEL - Converting
to propane -- Want to try a cleaner, cheaper fuel? Try propane!
-- By Glenn Wood
- Gas tank outlets, making a filter -- Don't settle for sediment -- by Tyler Watts
- Gasket goops, lubes and torque --
You've got the right bolt and gasket, now what?? -- By Koolkar
- Head been milled? -- Quick, easy
check if that 235 or 261 head has ever been milled -- By Jim Merritt
- Hood Prop -- Working with a four-piece hood can be perplexing and dangerous. Maybe you need a hood prop -- by Randy Baumann
- Manifolds & Headers -- What manifolds and headers fit or interchange? -- By Barry Weeks and Dave Alama
- Manifold Bolt Replacement -- It's not fast, but it is easy and straightforward - by Roy "RoyV" Vaillancourt
- Milled Heads -- How do you know? Updated! Jim Merritt sent in an image to go with this good old tech tip
- Motor mount switch (side to front) for 235 -- Don't dispair, we've got a drawing for you -- by Woody "Czechman" Vondracek
- Motor Mount (Front ) for the 235 Engine -- You need to know BEFORE you do this - by Don "down2sea"McLendon
- Oil Filters - 1933 to 1963 - actual images, differences, instruction sheets, mounting braket kit info - very comprehensive research -- by Pat Doonan
- Oil Pan Gasket Replacement in your 216 / 235 Engine -- If done correctly, oil pan leaks should be a thing of the past -- by Martin Bass
- OILING - Full-Pressure Oiling for
235's and 261's -- Easy mod for full-pressure oiling --
By Bruce Childs
- Rear Main Seal Replacement -- End that
embarrassing puddle! Here's an easy way to do it right! -- By Oly
- Timing cover modification for easy removal -- A nice fix to help you get to difficult places by Chris "Sweet" Sweet
- Valve Adjustment -- It's not
brain surgery! By Oly
- Valve Covers -- 283 on a 350 Engine -- By Mark "Markeb" Brazelton
Painting your truck (Ahhh ... we have a special Paint and Body shop forum )
- De-Rusting with Vinegar -- A quick and not too expensive rust removal technique using vinegar! -- by Alan Christensen
- Electrolytic Rust Removal -- Bust rust the way the pros do -- By Ted Kinsey and updated by Randy Baumann
- Evapo-Rust -- Product review -- Two Bolters check out a new product in battling the enemy: rust -- by Koolkar and Inky05
- Low-Buck Rust Removal -- The Molasses Bath -- cheap
rust removal for the patient restorer -- By Barry Weeks and crew
- Zero Rust -- Restoration rust control in the Real World -- By Bill Irish
- 1939 Chevy 1/2-Ton -- Off-frame
resto of a pre-war pickup -- By John Milliman
- 1949 Chevy 4400 --
An in-progress off-frame restoration of a big Advance Design truck -- By
- 1949 1/2-Ton -- An off-frame with an engine upgrade) of an Advance Design pickup -- By John Henry
- 1951 Chevy Panel Truck -- An on-frame resto of a pretty solid AD panel truck -- By Leila Smith
- 1951 Chevy Suburban-- Off-frame resto of a unique, and somewhat rare, old 'burb -- by Stu Sanderson
Stovebolt History with Lou
MacMillan, Stovebolt Historian Emeritus
|Stovebolt History & Random Facts